Monday, March 28, 2011

To Be Curvy

Click on picture to see blog post "On the street…Angelika, Milan"


The fashion/photography blog, The Satorialist has the blogosphere abuzz after a interesting choice of words used to describe a female blogger.
A glance at the photos and you see a slim, attractive, fashionable female.
My first thought was "Oh gosh I need those shoes!" (Jeffery Campbell Lita's by the way ^_^)Very beautiful pictures of a very lovely woman.
A glance at his description and you can see why most of the 700+ comments question his idea of shape vs. size.


" I loved that she's a bigger, curvier girl than most of the other bloggers who you see in the press and tend to represent the genre."-Scott Schuman

My First Thought: I understand that "curvy" is a shape, as Schuman argues, however, "bigger??"
So are the normal female bloggers practically invisible?
Now according to his update, many comments have instructed him that the word "normal" is the best term to describe the young woman.
I DEFINITELY do not agree with that, because if something is "normal", then something else is abnormal.
Call it a technicality but that's how I see it.
This woman has curves, but if bigger REALLY is the correct term for her, then the bloggers he's used to seeing must be in terrifying shape.
I understand why many are jumping at his throat because the word "curvy" is usually attributed with a plus -size woman.

"Remember, curvy is a body shape, not a weight." -Scott Schuman


I agree. 
There has always been this feud between plus-size women, and what some designers THINK is a plus-sized woman. His comment seems to come off as "She's big enough, they don't get any bigger than this in my world."
However his intention seemed to be a comparison between what he's used to and a new size.
What it DOES make you think about, again, is the standard in the fashion industry and their idea of what is acceptable. That is the real issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment